Interview | Dale Phillips author of A Memory of Grief

An interview with Dale Phillips author of A Memory of Grief.

I really enjoyed A Memory of Grief by Dale Phillips which I finished reading a few days ago. I was delighted when Dale agreed to do an interview for Indie Bookworm and am looking forward to reading some of his other books in the future.

Why did you write A Memory of Grief?

This story had to get out- a flawed protagonist, who struggles to be a better person, and who changes while investigating the death of a friend. A man who hates guns, but tangles with people who use them. A moral man with a shady past and a load of grief and guilt and rage that constantly threatens to make him buckle. And a great way to showcase the Maine locale, a different kind of setting for a mystery.

What kind of reader would enjoy A Memory of Grief?

Anyone who likes good amateur sleuth mysteries, especially fans of Robert B. Parker's Spenser, and John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee. But there are layers of deeper meaning throughout which reward the careful reader- I call it the thinking person's action mystery.

How did you develop your characters?

Slowly, bit by bit. Character is revealed by dialogue and action, so sometimes the characters tell me what they're going to do, and just take over. That's the fun part. Sometimes, whole characters will jump into the story, like Cassie Alexander in the sequel book, A Fall From Grace. She surprised me by showing up in the third draft, and took over the book!

How did you decide to publish A Memory of Grief?

I'd spent a great deal of time doing the whole submissions route to the New York publishing world. Even had an agent, who agreed the book was good, and sellable. And time dragged on, with no forward motion.
Then the world of publishing changed. After an immense amount of research, it seemed that there were other routes. So I was about to self-publish, and I was approached by Briona Glen, a tiny startup publisher, who asked if I'd go with them as their debut novel, to launch the company. So I agreed.

Are you working on any new writing at the moment?

Yes, when I heard about the review of A Memory of Grief here at Indie Bookworm, I was busy writing Book 3 of the series, A Shadow on the Wall. As soon as that's released, I need to finish Wendigo, my first horror novel, which will be out in the Spring.

For more details about Dale's books visit his website http://www.daletphillips.com/